How Can I Help My Child Succeed In School?
- Read every day! Take turns at reading to your child and having your child read to you, asking questions to promote comprehension skills.
- Be positive, speaking well of school and learning. Encourage your child to talk about the fun things they have done or are going to do at school.
- Create a consistent after-school routine including mealtimes, homework time and play time (creating a visual display of this for your child can be very beneficial.)
- Ensure your child is getting plenty of sleep on a school night, so they are fresh for school in the morning.
- Encourage your child in all aspects of academics, praising them both in their success and their efforts.
- Teach your child to be responsible for their actions, encouraging them to take responsibility for getting ready.
- Stay involved! If interested inquire about volunteering at the school or about ways to support your child’s learning at home.
- Communicate! Keep in regular contact with your child’s teacher.